So, on this special edition of Messy Counters and Floured Paperbacks I want to present a recipe I created myself. I am definitely not a by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of cook, more of a by-the-letter recipe girl, so this was something unexpected for me. Thankfully it turned out great! Spicy Bacon Fried Rice, you are a keeper!
This recipe started a few weeks ago when we had my best friend and her husband over for an Asian Fest night. I made crab rangoons, vegetable egg rolls, sesame noodles, teriyaki chicken, and sweet ‘n savory pork. Bestie brought fried rice and a delicious brownie dessert. Unfortunately, I didn’t take many pictures. Here’s all the pictures I took.
So reminiscing about that got the hubs and me talking last week about the different kinds of fried rice, and trying to decide on our favorite, when I said, “What about Bacon? A bacon fried rice. Why don’t they make that?”
Hubs looked at me like I had discovered a gold tree in our back yard and demanded I make it.
I was kind of worried at first. Would it taste good? Would I be able to make fried rice without a recipe? But I decided I’d just figure out my favorite things about fried rice and give it a go.
Shooting forward to me in the kitchen. I gathered up the ingredients..
Frozen peas and carrots, leftover rice, bacon, two eggs, garlic, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, green onions, black pepper, and (Not pictured. Sorry, forgetful and still new at this) one onion, soy sauce, and hot oil.
Now, I didn’t take any pictures of the cooking process except this gratuitous bacon shot! Nice crispy pieces just the way I like them! Anyway, I tried but the light in my house is not great and I’m using a little Sony Cybershot, so the pictures did not look appetizing. But look, bacon!
So, since I have no more process shots I’ll just get to the recipe.
Spicy Bacon Fried Rice
- 3 cups leftover rice
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Hot Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into short strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- fresh ground black pepper(optional)
- Cook the chopped bacon in a skillet until desired doneness. (I prefer pretty crispy bacon in this dish) Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add sesame and hot oil. Once hot, add crushed red pepper and wait about ten seconds.
- Add chopped onions and stir fry until translucent, then add the thawed peas and carrots and stir fry until tender.(You can, if you like crisper onions, add the peas and carrots with the onions so it cooks for less time) Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Move the onions, peas, and carrots to the side of the pan and add the beaten eggs. Stir until cooked.
- Finally, add the rice, cooked bacon, black pepper (if desired) and green onions. Drizzled with soy sauce and stir fry until warmed through and well mixed. Serve immediately.
That’s all for this special edition! See you soon!