I have gone to the beach, and so it is officially summer for me! Summer often means I make a lot of salads and grilled dinners, and this week really kicked off the salads.
First up, this Romaine Salad with Creamy Gorgonzola and Parmesan Dressing from Noble Pig.
This dressing is amazing! It is so flavorful, and though the ingredient list is a bit long, I had everything on hand already. It is definitely restaurant quality. The only downside is it has to sit overnight, so you have to think a little ahead, but it is so worth it!
I added some extra veggies to our salads, and I think it would be amazing with some grilled chicken for a full dinner.
Next up, a BLT Chopped Salad from Damn Delicious.
Oh, wow. I thought this would be just another salad, but I was wrong! The lime vinaigrette is amazing, and completely changed the salad from typical to extraordinary. Since the bacon is a big player here, you need a good quality bacon. Get your favorite kind, because it makes a difference. I oven-roasted my corn before adding it to the salad, which gave it better flavor and enhanced the sweetness. Not necessary, but just added a little more flavor.
One thing I love and tend to eat a lot more of in the summer is shrimp, and this One Pot Lemon Orzo Shrimp from Damn Delicious (again) is easy and fantastic.
I made this as a side for pork chops, but next time would just make this as a main. It is filing on its own and has everything you need for a full meal. The hubs and I couldn’t think of anything more than yum while we were eating this.
Last up, I made BL Green Chile Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
I got the idea for this from a Taste of Home recipe, but I couldn’t find it. Here’s my modified recipe:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 40 oz can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 12 slices bread (I used 15-grain wheat)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (you may not use all of this, but that’s how much it took me)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese, shredded cheeses, green chilies, may and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread over half of the bread slices (I spread a thin layer over each piece so it would act like glue for the tomato and bacon). Top with tomato and bacon, then the remaining bread.
- Brush tops of sandwiches with melted butter, then flip butter side down into heated skillet. Butter tops. Toast sandwiches in batches over medium-low heat until golden brown and heated through.
The sandwiches were really good. They were perfectly gooey, and the cheese mixture had a nice flavor from the green chilies. The tomatoes cut through the richness of the cheese and added juiciness, while the bacon was just an indulgent addition.
One last thing I’d like to talk about. I try to eat healthy the majority of the time, and sometimes I come across an amazing recipe whose calorie count is completely out of my realm. This lead me to wonder if I could reduce the calories without sacrificing flavor.
So, all this rambling is to get your thoughts on a new Food Friday segment, “Can I Halve It?”. I would take a recipe, make it as instructed, then try to halve the calories while still making it delicious.
I would really love your feedback.
That’s all for this Food Friday. See you Monday.