I’m so excited to bring you an all new recipe this week! I’ve had cheesesteaks on my mind for months now, and finally I just decided I’d make my own. But then I was thinking about my love of buffalo chicken, and decided I had to combine the two!
I made my buffalo sauce using a half-and-half mix of Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo and Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic Sauce. Use whatever buffalo sauce you love, or any combination thereof as long as it adds up to 1/2 cup.
And here’s a small picture of my chicken marinating. I’ll keep it small since raw chicken it not the prettiest thing to look at.
This was my biggest mistake while making this recipe. I sliced two green peppers and two whole onions, thinking for sure I would need them, but I ended up with half left over. So I adjusted the recipe below to reflect that.
I forgot to take a picture of the chicken after I cooked it, but I remembered about halfway through assembling the sandwiches. It was saucy, but not too wet, so it didn’t break down the bread while in the oven.
This is when they first came out of the oven and I pulled the foil back. The cheese was gooey and just right. It didn’t overwhelm the sandwich.
I made my own Blue Cheese Ranch dressing to go with this. Another mashup. If you want that recipe, let me know below, and I’ll post that sometime next week. Any blue cheese or ranch dressing would be good here.
I hope you try this, and love it. If you make this, please snap a photo and hashtag it #messycountersfp. I’d love to see what you make!
Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp each salt and pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices buffalo cheddar cheese
- blue cheese dressing to serve
- Mix the buffalo sauce, olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Slice chicken and stir into sauce. Let marinate for at least half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- While that marinates, slice the onion and bell pepper. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Saute onion and peppers until soft. At this point I seasoned them with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the chicken and marinade. Cook until chicken is cooked through. If your sauce is too thin for you, add a slurry of 1 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp cold water, and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Slice hoagie rolls lengthwise and fill with buffalo chicken, onions and peppers. Line upright in a 9 x 13 in. pan. Top with sliced cheese. Tent pan tightly with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. This makes the bread really soft and helps it to absorb the flavors of the chicken.
- Serve warm, topped with blue cheese dressing.
That’s all for this week. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the icons in the sidebar for more fun content.
Also, congratulations to Brittany for winning last weeks giveaway!! I’ll be in touch with your code.